Friday, November 27, 2009

Now you tell me!

Happy Thanksgiving Y'all!!!

This post comes to you from the often-sought rarely-seen "Chuck's PC" at home base. With extra PTO days to spare this young(ish) accountant has taken advantage and is spending Black Friday at anyplace-but-work. Have fun working that Daily Recap succkas!!!

So Thanksgiving was turkey goodness as always. Mom throws together a nice meat and potatoes meal and the relatives are good people. The only downside is that I was able to tune in to the Green Bay - Detroit game, which stank, and then had to turn the channel to Sam the Fireman for the benefit of nephew Nate. Ohhhh welllll.

But none of that has anything to do with anything. This morning I have all sorts of free time on my hands. So as I am busy putting together a kick ass radio station courtesy of Pandora.com, I was just reading the latest edition of Jambaroo over at Deadspin and came across this as the Redskins vs Eagles preview:

Redskins at Eagles: A friend of mine just got engaged. For you bachelors out there, there is nothing more terrifying than the time in between the moment you buy an engagement ring, and the moment you propose. Not because you're getting nervous about marriage. But because you're walking around with a bauble in your pocket worth thousands of dollars. You want to get rid of that shit as fast as you can, to give it to your woman so she assumes all responsibility for it. That whole time YOU have the ring, you freak the fuck out over losing it. That's why I never suggest you plan on bringing an engagement ring to some tropical locale, or try hiding it in a soufflé, or some retarded thing like that. Just get rid of the fucker ASAP.

Ha! I had to laugh because I went through the same thing. Have you ever spent multiple days traveling a serious distance in strange lands with a multi-thousand dollar item in your posession? Man is that scary. Not only did I have multiple layovers, I was travelling to Colombia. You know all the rumors about Colombia? It ended up all for the best in the end, but complications like customs and checkpoints were a constant worry. Just before we got to Parque Tayrona we had to get searched by a couple military dudes. I was freaking out the whole time because, A) I didn't want them to pull out the ring and ruin the surprise, and B) I'm sorry for gringo tendencies but I was not, at that point, confident that there was no corruption in the military. So, I had to act all fishy and kind of interject my body between the guys and my fiance.

Luckily, everything worked out, I didn't get robbed, and I didn't just lose it because I'm stupid like that. I just wish I had that piece of advice a little beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment