Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Nothing gets support like scaring the elderly

Way too much politics in this blog lately, but what are you going to do. Just read this article this morning which I believe is a perfect illustration of how the GOP has little interest in actually getting reform done on the health care industry. A Bill of Rights for the elderly? Really?? Straw men get used all the time in politics as it is discussed by pundits with an audience and numbnuts like myself without one. When our politicians as a body use them they really are pushing the boundaries of their credibility. To propose something that really is not needed, especially when, in the past, they were pushing for the very same actions that they are now condemning is politics at its worst.

Does it bother the RNC when they see their own poll numbers dropping even lower than the numbers for Obama? It seems like they are basically t aking the stance that if they aren't going to succeed in governing, then neither can the Democrats. I believe in the military it's called a "scorched earth policy" and it's most fitting here as well as I can only describe the Republicans attitude towards Democrats right now as open warfare. I would like nothing more for these two sides to get along. But I highly doubt that I will ever see that in my lifetime.

2 comments:

  1. "To propose something that really is not needed,"

    -- sort of like health care reform in general? where over 80% of the people in the country think that their health care is excellent or good -- meaning more than 80% of the people in the country are insured, but are either not satisfied, think their health care is fair, or are indifferent?

    To blame the GOP for stopping health care reform is just absurd... the democrats don't need them to pass it. Quit whinning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that is a matter of opinion. The need for health care has been debated and fought about for the better part of 40 years now. Although 80% sounds like a good number that still leaves 50 million people who don't have health insurance. I haven't seen anything indicating that 80% of the people think their coverage is excellent so I would appreciate it if you shared the source for that. I'm pretty sure my job provides better coverage than most and I still had to fight with the insurance company for weeks over a bill I got that totalled something like $1,800 dollars. This was the cost for putting glue on my forehead. I believe the saying is that if you love your health coverage, it's because you haven't had to use it yet. Also, I would have to dig to find my sources but I heard that the majority of people going bankrupt is caused by the cost of health care... and most of those cases are people who actually have coverage. In my opinion, the reform IS needed, as opposed to a piece of legislation designed to scare the elderly about any upcoming reform.

    I have to agree that to blame the GOP for stopping reform is absurd. It's not all their fault. This whole debate has proved once again that the Democrats are cowards. Instead of trying to push the real concept of the reform they have rolled over time and time again to try to appease Republican resistance. At this point in the debate they should still be debating the benefits of a single payer system. Instead, they've already eliminated that from talks altogether, and the public option that would be the next step has been so watered down and neutered makes it no better than any options currently available. At this point, unless they backtrack and start from square one, the reform is practically useless.

    I can, however, blame the GOP for turning the health care reform debate in to a joke. Every ad campaign I've seen them run and most of the loudest criticisms have all been debunked as lies and slander. Yet they continue to perpetuate because so many people want to believe that they are true. It's so strange that the one true criticism (the cost of this beast) gets so little attention.

    As for whining, what would politics be without it?

    ReplyDelete