Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter surprise in DC

This weekend was certainly an interesting one. A wave of record breaking temperatures (so, for those keeping score, on Friday and Saturday global warming was true) led the city of Syracuse to launch in to full-on celebration mode. This involved a lot of people leaving work early on Friday and, most importantly, going outside to drink rather than inside. There's a big difference there. The Hot Mary had a couple of out-of-town ladyfriends come to visit and so a visit to the local over-hyped watering hole was in order. The following day, while still recovering from the previous evening's menu of PBR and jagerbombs, good buddy Matt had some people over for some grillin' , drinkin', and horseshoin'. Good times were had by all! Things started to slow down until Matt suggested beer pong. I don't think I won. At all. Whatever.

On to Easter. The Hot Mary and I decided to try and cram in the double Easter family dinner combo and managed to pull it off well enough. There's not too many things quite as difficult as finding the inner resolve to restrain yourself when mashed potatoes are in abundance. Even more difficult is having to do so twice. But it was good seeing various family members and eating food. All i knew is that I had to be back in time for the opening day match up of Yanks vs Sawx.

The game was meh. Even when the Yankees were winning. What I hate the most about these two teams meeting up is the length of the game. I remember at one point that it was only the 6th friggin inning and it was about 11:00. That's right, three hours to play two-thirds of a game. That's insane.

Anywho, here we have opening day featuring my favorite team locked in a prime time match up in perhaps the greatest sports rivalry ever and we also have the day that Jesus came back to life after dying for our sins and all of it was overshadowed by the prima donas of the entire sports world: the Washington Redskins.

It first came up as I was perusing Facebook and I saw a post by someone saying that Donovan McNabb had been traded. I knew this was coming. On saturday I was asking some Eagles fans what they thought of the rumors that their team was shopping the face of the franchise after years of being under appreciated despite the fact that he has had turds lining up at wide receiver year after year. I had no idea that the 'Skins were in the running.

So I hopped on over to ESPN to read that McNabb had been traded to the Redskins.

I still am not quite sure what to think. On the bright side, for a player with the resume that McNabb has, it seems like they got him relatively cheap. On the other hand, it seems like more bad decisions made by the Redskins. I have no idea if this was a Snyder move or Shanahan. It's a shame that Jason Campbell will most likely be spending his Sundays holding a clipboard, but he was given every opportunity to impress the coaching staff.

The Shanahan era is already shaping up to be quite different from anything we've had in the past few years. The biggest change has just occurred with the acquisition of McNabb. They also now have an odd three-headed monster at running back with Portis, Larry Johnson, and Willie Parker. Then there's this business about converting to the 3-4 defense. I'm not quite sure what the new season will bring but it will definitely be different. Sometimes change is good, sometimes it's very very bad.

My stance still remains, however. If the Redskins do not select an offensive lineman in the first round of the upcoming draft, I will boycott them this year. I've said it repeatedly: it does not matter who their quarterback is if he doesn't have blocking. Perhaps this move was in an effort to ensure that they could draft a lineman. That I can get on board. However, despite the fact that there is a new coach in town, it is still Snyders team. I'll need to see proof that it isn't before I believe it.

As for Kolb, the new starting quarterback in Philly, I give him 3 weeks before Philly fans start chucking batteries at him.

No comments:

Post a Comment