Friday, September 25, 2009

"I'm Sure I Used To Be So Free"

Lost of new music for me to check out, kind of happy about that. We have new Pearl Jam, Chevelle, Muse, Mute Math, Collective Soul, and Mos Def. I might be forgetting a couple. The only one I've really been able to give a good listen to is Pearl Jam which seems to get better each time I listen to it. I'm curious to see how Muse is, though. A buddy of mine turned me on to them a few years ago when he picked me up on the way to the bar. I heard this bad ass guitar riff and asked who it was and he explained that someone had told him to check them out after hearing he was in to Radiohead. The Muse-Radiohead comparison is a popular one but I think their similarities are getting fewer with each successive album.

It turns out that the riff that introduced me to Muse was from "Stockholm Syndrome" which continues to be one of my favorites. That prompted me to get my hands on the album, Absolution, and I definitely was not disappointed. Songs like "Hysteria", "Time is Running Out" and "Apocalypse Please" keep me listening to the album again and again and what's great is that they, as well as just about every song on the album, are all different styles. If there's one thing that Muse is not lacking, it's diversity.

If i thought that album was good then I was very surprised to find that the one that was released prior to it, Origin of Symmetry, was just as good.

"New Born", super awesome.

"Bliss", awesome.

"Hyper Music", also awesome.

"Plug In Baby", awesome again.

And "Citizen Erased", well, that's the whole reason I wrote this post. I needed an excuse to post one of the most intense songs ever written. Hopefully you enjoy it as much as I do:



...I'll get to their last two albums later.

No comments:

Post a Comment