Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"I'm all by myself, as I've always felt..."

Nothing too exciting has happened in ashtray-land so blogging material has been kind of lacking. There are few things that I get passionate about but music has to be one of them. Unfortunately, as I find less and less in the way of new music to listen to, I don't spend as much time just relaxing and enjoying some tunes the way I used to. When I'm in the car I find myself listening to either sports or politics; very rarely flipping over to the FM side of things. Can you blame me? When every other station is Lady Gaga or Taylor Swift why should i bother? The rock stations seem to feed their listeners a steady diet of Godsmack and Disturbed which I guess is a step-up from emo. How sad is it when the most excited I've been over radio is this morning when I heard "Say Hello 2 Heaven"?

So, rather than listen to Jim Rome talk about nothing for 3 hours, I fired up the Windows Media Player with my mega mix and was surprised by how much I was digging The Smashing Pumpkins "Soma" off of Siamese Dream. The Pumpkins, much like 311, have always been sort of an enigma for me in that they are one of the bands I most enjoy listening to, but there is just something that bothers me about them. I can basically divide their songs in two categories: awesome, or, drive-me-crazy.

It all comes down to Billy Corgan's voice to me. It's so damn whiny and annoying when he sings normally, and when he tries to let out a growl it's downright absurd. But tunes like "Cherub Rock", "I Am One", "Hummer", "I of the Mourning", and "Muzzle" are all a rockin' good time, as well as a bunch of others.

It's too bad that they are yet another band from my youth that kind of fell apart. They'll still remain in my pantheon of rock and I'll still enjoy digging them out when they are considered oldies. Just don't ever bring up Adore.

2 comments:

  1. For me, I think his growl is at it's supposed best during "Everlasting Gaze" (see Adore). Tee hee. Oddly enough, I kinda like that song. So it goes.

    By the way, I like the first comment to that XYU link. "Pure fucking anger!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everlasting Gaze was off of Machina... or whatever the hell it's called.

    Hehe, I didn't check the comments but that is awesome. How about #4, "I read somewhere that this song is about rape"... What???

    paulclarkemyobcom has a different take:
    "Great story about his denouncement of god and the 'sacrifice' he's forced to make to gain entry and powers into the dark side and his complete submersion into the hell realms where there is no turning back."

    That's nice but I neither have the time nor the inclination to dissect Billy Corgan's lyrics

    ReplyDelete