Thursday, December 3, 2009

The problem with polls

The problem is, of course, that everyone has one supporting what they want to say.

Take health care reform, for example. For this entire debate I have heard Republican after Republican declare that "the American people have spoken" or "the American people don't want this". I'm not sure what specific poll they are referring to, but I assume that there must be one somewhere supporting that statement.

Then you have stuff like this. There you have it; a poll showing support for the public option.

So who's right? Ultimately, it doesn't even matter. It's like the global warming debate. Who's right: the scientists who say it exists or the ones who don't?

Information can be a powerful thing. Information is the source of power in this modern era, but you can cherry pick it any way you want to tell the public whatever you want. I'm in the accounting field. I know what can be done.

It would be nice to assume that people would not take advantage of the powers of information, but power is power. If you had a movement that was near and dear to your heart, who's to say what lengths you would go through to see it successful.

So, as I always do, I will pay attention to the great modern debates and the people on both sides. As for the information, don't mind me if I look in to it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment